The largest of Walnut's multi-dealer shops, The Granary Antique mall offers the wares of 100 quality antique dealers from seven states. The range of antiques and collectible goods, which fill the two floors, is as extensive as the distance covered by their dealers.
The Granary, at 602 Pearl Street, occupies one of the oldest buildings in downtown Walnut, one of the few which escaped the fire, which destroyed most of the town's commercial buildings in the late 1890's. In the 1800's the building housed "Spangler's Implement House" and "Spangler's Livestock and Coal," establishments, which provided farm machinery, seed, and grain for this farm town of German immigrants. Today you can still see many of the original features of this historic building as they were 100 years ago. The original ropes and pulleys, power drives, and water system which ran the milling facility remain, as do the lime-stone walls on the lower level. These features, plus hitching posts and a water trough in front of the building's covered wooden side-walk evoke memories of the early plains town Walnut certainly was.
Filled with a selection of fine antiques from the primitive to Victoriana to turn-of-the-century oak furniture. The Granary Mall also has the largest Red Wing Stoneware inventory for sale in the Midwest. No visit to Iowa's Antique City is complete without stopping by the Granary Antique mall for a visit with brothers Tim and Troy Suhr, owners and operators.